Friday, April 9, 2010

Kickboxing: I would like to do more kicking and boxing and less crunching and pushing…

For those of you who don’t speak French, the name of this blog, C’est Ma Vie, means That’s My Life. Despite the fact that I have not written for my faithful readers (mom, dad, dog) in months, I have actually been doing some decently cool things with my life - One being kickboxing, which I find fantastically awesome and fun. Basically, I run around kicking, punching, and lifting for an hour and then feel like total shit for a few days after. Just when I’m able to sit, stand, sleep, and walk without any hint of pain, it’s time for another session with Ryer.

Here are some helpful tips for the kickboxers in you:

  1. It really helps to picture the boxing bag as someone you don’t particularly like or care for. This is an easy way to maximize the intensity of your workout, while minimizing the monotony of punching a giant bean bag on crack for what feels like a lifetime. For full disclosure, for me this is typically a guy. Before you go questioning my sanity in this regard, don’t worry, I normally picture someone I don’t actually know…like Alexander Ovechkin or Tom Brady. But to be honest, punching a dude you don’t like never gets old… Disclaimer: The phrase “let’s take this outside” does not apply here. Just because you feel fulfilled punching a fake person in fantasy kickboxing land, it does not mean you can go punch that person in real life. Additionally, guys – I would not suggest turning your kickboxing supremacy into punching an imaginary girl, because even if she’s fake, that’s not cool. Sorry that the double standards of the world are just so cruel…Life isn’t fair.
  2. Okay…this tip is a little more “sane.” Pick someone in the class and try to beat them at every exercise. I’m a highly competitive person where sports are concerned so competing with myself just doesn’t do it for me.
  3. If you ever find yourself being forced to do crunches in a puddle of someone else’s sweat the best way to avoid it is to….. Okay! I have no answers for this one. It happened to me last night and it was gross.
  4. Ladies, just embrace the pink boxing gloves because women’s gloves apparently don’t exist in any color but pink.
  5. Don't eat for like 3 hours before class. Just don't do it... I've heard stories!

So for any Pittsburghers interested in taking up some martial arts, check out the Ryer Martial Arts Academy in Shadyside (http://www.ryeracademy.com/) It’s a really cool place right on Center Ave above a pizza/fried chicken restaurant whose smell makes me wanna barf after every class. I’m going to start parking next to the Subway instead…

No comments:

Post a Comment